[ID3 Dev] 'Extending' ID3 V2.4

Ben Bennett fiji at ayup.limey.net
Fri Feb 10 16:20:49 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:58:27PM -0800, Robert Manson wrote:
> Another "problem" with XML is that it is so flexible when it comes to
> the text encoding of the actual document.  Having to support so many
> text encodings can be a big problem, especially in the embedded space.

Supporting full XML parsing unless the DTD were very strict (possibly
with strict ordering of frames, and also possibly including offsets in
the format) might be prohibitive in some of the players.

As a note... I would guess the vast majority of mp3 players can
read/write 2.4 (because Apple does and that dominates the market).
Hoewver, Apple's implementation is bust for frames larger than 128
bytes.  Sigh.  And they also use some proprietary frames. Sigh.  And
they are not flagged as such.  Sigh.

> Some things I would like to see in a new ID3 version:
>
> 1.  Tags at the end of the file, perhaps directly above an IDv1 tag

2.4 can do that.

> 2.  No binary data, thus avoiding the need for an unsyncronization
> scheme
> 3.  One UTF* text encoding format, perhaps one that does not require
> unsyncronization, UTF-7?

UGH! UTF-7 is pretty wretched to work with.

> 4.  Simple key-value pairing whereby ID3 recognizes a set of standard
> keys but allows room for custom keys (ie TXXX).

		  -ben