[ID3 Dev] I want to make my Java API OpenSource

Tom Sorensen tsorensen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 05:54:36 PDT 2006

To clarify what Scott said a bit, here's what happens if you release
your library under X license (loosely):

BSD/MIT (very similar): They are not required to publish any source,
only to acknowledge your library and indicate that you wrote it, not
them.
LGPL: As above, but they do have to publish changes they make to your source.
GPL: As above, plus they have to publish all of their own source code,
even if they link to it dynamically.

Note that LGPL is of questionable legal standing; it's never been
tested and there's a lot of weird "edge" cases (although I'm unsure
that they apply to Java). Both the BSD/MIT licenses and the GPL are
court tested (in the US at least) and solid.

There are many, many other OSS licenses as well, but those four are
the big ones, and most other licenses are similar in nature to one of
them.