[ID3 Dev] Accessibilty extension draft is posted

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Jun 16 08:22:37 PDT 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 17:00, Ben Bennett wrote:
> Remeber, unsync only matters if the player can't understand the ID3v2
> format.  If it knows how to at least read the header it can get the
> tag length and skip it all.

Again, it's not quite that simple when working with an open-ended set of
formats and an open-ended set of players.  A lot of decoding happens in
layers.  The layer that understands the container format and handles demuxing
probably won't know about tags; a tag parser would be done with data once the
higher levels had figured out which data to throw at it.

I don't have a ready-made software/format combo that I'm sure this would not
work on, but I can just say that it's not far fetched that it would break in
some places.

(A little background in multimedia file formats:  MPEG is really, really easy.
It barely deserves to be called a format since it's pretty much raw data -- a
codec more than a file format.  But with things like AVI or Ogg files or more
robust audio-only formats you often have more specific requirements on
placement of data and what strings are "stream flags" and shouldn't occur
randomly.)

> That is cute.  I was going to say that this breaks simple updates,
> e.g. case changes or the like.  But your example shows why you _want_
> to break on things like that.  It probably makes sense to do the
> lookups with "cleaned up" strings (lowercase, leading and trailing
> whitespace stripped, internal whitespace reduced to one space).

That might be appropriate, but mind you that normalizing strings is actually
trickier than it sounds (since it requires knowledge of the character sets
being used.)

> Though if there is a long string duplicating it entirely may be excessive.

Nah.  The string size relative to the audio content will be insignificantly
small.

-Scott

--
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it
is not utterly absurd.