[ID3 Dev] Accessibilty extension draft is posted

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Jun 14 05:26:03 PDT 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 4:09, Dan O'Neill wrote:
> Chris Newell's proposal for an Accessibility frame has been posted.
>
> Abstract
>
> This document describes an extension which makes ID3v2 metadata
> accessible to the visually impaired. It may also be useful for audio
> players which have limited display capabilities. A new frame type is
> proposed that carries an audio clip which can provide a verbal
> expression of the textual information carried by any other ID3v2 frame.
>
> http://www.id3.org/id3v2-accessibility-1.0.html
>
> Links to the document are kept on the developers page.
>
> http://www.id3.org/develop.html

Two things that jump out to me as bits that won't work:

- You can't embed arbitrary audio into an ID3 tag and expect for it to be
decoded properly since it messes up synching.  For instance, with MPEG audio,
when you hit an MPEG synch frame, the audio player will just play the stuff
there like it's the first bit of audio content.  The rest of the tag will be
ignored.

- Equivalent Frame ID doesn't work for frames that allow multiple instances of
the same frame.  You also might want to consider if you want to do anything
special for frames that contain multiple, distinct strings.

(I must say that I'm somewhat sceptical of the uses of the extension in
general, vs., say, screen readers, but I'll take the time to read the paper
you just sent later on.)

-Scott

--
The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow
sharper.