[ID3 Dev] ID3 tag and audio file formats

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Mar 1 13:02:20 PST 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 21:11, Thy Nae wrote:
> Hie,
> I'm your french translator, do you remenber ? ;-)

I think you were actually replying to Michal, but you hit reply to my mail.
When you hit reply your mail client generates a header like (from your mail):

For those of us that are on dozens of mailing lists and use threaded readers
we see something like this:

http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/images/mail-threading.png

> I'm actually planning to write (  in python ) an "universal" tagging
> library; it will be released as free software under the terms Lgpl licence,
> it means you will be able to use it even if ATT is not free/open software.
> (Note that I respect your choice but I think that a tool like this will
> know more sucess if it was totally free; OK, now I stop proselytism it's
> enough ;-)

You're of course welcome to write your own, but there are Python bindings for
TagLib:

http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html#bindings

> About the ogg/vorbis tagging , the system is more flexible but less
> advanced and normalized, it works with the couple "key"= value , coded in
> text at the beginning of the files.
> The best point is the possibility to easylie add  new keys, the bad one is
> that there is no convention about them , even with basic like "artist" ,
> "title" , "album" and in absence of any  superior autority the risk is that
> situation become anarchic.

There is an informal set of standard comments mentioned here:

http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

> Note that an ogg vorbis can be tagged with id3tag, but some crapy softwares
> are confused with this , they consider that in id3 taggued file can only be
> a mp3 , nothing else , they don't analyze frame to determine that.

If you add an ID3 tag to an Ogg Vorbis file (assuming that you don't embed it
in the bitstream, which would be possible, but silly) you've just corrupted
that file.  Software *should not* recognize ID3 tags stuck onto Ogg Vorbis
files.

Ogg, like AVI or QuickTime, is a container format.  Data in Ogg files has to
be split into packets / pages and included at the proper place in the Ogg
bitstream.  You can't just add data to the beginning or end at random the way
that you can in MP3 files.

-Scott

--
I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and dirty,
you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and say to