[ID3 Dev] Why is footer not included in total size?

Jim jmartin92 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 22 07:45:32 PST 2006

I think some of those tags could be useful but I also think we would want to
have some more complex example/sample tags, both to test proper reading of a
tag and to test whether a reader can catch bad tags and how it handles them.
(I think creating the set of bad tags would be much more complex because
there could be many possible conditions to be tested.  I'm thinking of
starting with some simple cases like repeating a frame that should be unique
and maybe something like a text frame that contains no encoding.)

I think more complicated tags would be useful because one of the first
projects I was working on involved reading/writing multiple 'TXXX' frames
and I found more than one other reading/writing app that expected TXXX
frames to be unique and only have one per tag.

Do we have anyone that is volunteering to collects/sort the tags into some
kind of compilation?  I would be willing to do this but I am hoping that
perhaps there is someone out there with a more thorough knowledge of ID3v2
tags that could be in charge (and I could still help).  I readily admit that
my knowledge of and experience with ID3v2 tags is mostly limited to the text
information frames.

Or perhaps we could merge this with the wiki project that Ben Bennett was
talking about to provide a better forum for submission of sample tags as
well as discussion about proper handling for some of the gray areas.  (This
mailing list is useful but with so many possible topics spinning off from
these tags I think an online forum would be a better way to manage the
discussions and avoid flooding this mailing list.)  And I would hope for at
least a little involvement from some of the people running or helping with
the id3.org website.  (This project could perhaps keep a more up to date
list of non-compliant software.)

Jim