[ID3 Dev] Why is footer not included in total size?

Ray Manning ray at homeautomationdev.com
Wed Nov 15 07:02:22 PST 2006

I guess I'll be asking more questions here along my ID3 tag journey then.
Having just recently started looking at the specs, I assumed 2.4 would
be the place to start. From what I'm learning from this discussion and
and reading the 2.3 and 2.4 specs, I now see my assumption was invalid.

It would be helpful, I think, if this mailing list was archived somewhere
so new comers like me might gain better insight into the state of things.
I tend to believe that the more senior members of this list have seen
many repeated topics/issues. Something as simple as forwarding this
mailing list to a nntp server and having Google do the archive would
be helpful.

<snip>

> If you want to write something that almost everything can read, then
> write a ID3v2.3 tag on the front (the only choice) and a ID3v1 tag on
> the end (again, the only choice).  Also only a subset of tags are
> reliably supported.  Populating too much can get you in trouble with
> some tools too...

Thanks for the tip. That helps focus my efforts. Can you shed some light
on what problems you've encountered with adding too many tags? I do
realize that not all tags will be interpreted the same way (for example,
I've seen a "Comedy" track that listed the comedian as the composer).
Is this the main issue or have you expreienced problems with the raw
size of the tag?

> > Tools will have to know how to find the appended tag if you are to
> > avoid 2 tags in one file. pre-id3v2.4 tools don't know about
> > appended tags so will always prepend a second tag where an
> > appended tag exists.
>
> Yes.  I fully understand that.  You are the one talking about advanced
> features of 2.4.  (Note there is a guide for scanning for tags in the
> 2.4 spec).  I am not sure what you are trying to do, is this a tool
> for your personal use?  Are you trying to make widely-readable tags?  Etc.

I didn't realize appended tags were an "advanced" feature.

If you are talking about the suggestions for scanning in section
"5. Tag location", then yes I did see that. The word "unembedded"
gave my stomach a flip. What is an embedded frame? I'm guessing
it's embedded in an audio stream in order for players to pick
up frames from a stream?

The tool I'm working on is for managing a large music database and
importing music into it. I need to be able to read tags from multiple
sources and file formats as well as write tags that can be widely
understood.

> > The usefulness of the footer is for scanning backward. The
> backward scanner
> > doesn't care about the flag because he's going to skip footer->tagSize
> > backward
> > once he identifies the footer.  The scanner doesn't need the
> footer flag.
> > It already knows the footer exists.
>
> You forget about the case where a file is streamed, the player
> receiveing the stream wants to know that there may be a tag following.

I don't understand what you're saying here. How would the
player receiving a stream, know a tag follows without seeing the
tag header first? I'd assume a player would be looking for a
header and not a footer. I'm also thinking this is where the
SEEK frame might be useful.

> Anyway, it may be silly, but it is already out there in the spec.

Agreed. That doesn't mean it can't be improved upon the next version.
It almost sounds to me like 2.4 is reluctantly being accepted due
to some of the issues it introduces. I certainly don't get the
impression people are in a hurry to move to 2.4 which is somewhat
surprising to me given a 6 year old standard and the increased
exposure of mp3 in that same period.

- Ray