[ID3 Dev] Apple iTunes complicance issues

Jud White jwhite at cdtag.com
Sun Feb 11 17:58:16 PST 2007

Please correct me if I'm wrong... do you have to purchase a membership
to report a bug?

I have a few things to report:

1. In ID3v2.4, non-syncsafe sizes are written to frames (ie, bit 7 is
used).  The spec has changed in regards to how frame sizes are written
from ID3v2.3 to ID3v2.4.  Also, iTunes does not read frames written with
syncsafe sizes correctly.  See http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-structure,
section 4, paragraph 3.  Frame sizes should be written the same way as
the total tag size is written in the header in ID3v2.4.  Also, it's easy
enough to determine which size-encoding method was used by attempting to
seek to the next position and testing for a valid frame signature/end of
tag; in other words, it's not too late to correct this behavior.

2. Reading APIC frames with a text encoding of anything other than
ISO-8859-1 results in "No artwork" (all ID3v2 version).

3. APIC frames need the "MIME Type" field set (in ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4)
and the "File Extension" field set (in ID3v2.2) in order to display an
image.  However, it only seems to be checking that the MIME Type/File
Extension are recognized - for example, a JPEG can be saved with a File
Extension of "jpg", "png", or "bmp" and still be displayed.  I think the
point here is some implementations may not write the MIME Type/File
Extension at all to APIC frames, in which case iTunes will not display them.

Also, Dale owned up to have HUA syndrome - what he found was not a bug. :)

-Jud