[ID3 Dev] Re: Apple iTunes complicance issues

Nathan Hjelm hjelmn at mac.com
Wed Feb 21 14:34:27 PST 2007

Jud White <jwhite <at> cdtag.com> writes:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong... do you have to purchase a membership
> to report a bug?
>
> I have a few things to report:
>
> 1. In ID3v2.4, non-syncsafe sizes are written to frames (ie, bit 7 is
> used).  The spec has changed in regards to how frame sizes are written
> from ID3v2.3 to ID3v2.4.  Also, iTunes does not read frames written with
> syncsafe sizes correctly.  See http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-structure,
> section 4, paragraph 3.  Frame sizes should be written the same way as
> the total tag size is written in the header in ID3v2.4.  Also, it's easy
> enough to determine which size-encoding method was used by attempting to
> seek to the next position and testing for a valid frame signature/end of
> tag; in other words, it's not too late to correct this behavior.

I have noticed a non-compliance in other frames as well. More specifically,
iTunes does not use synchsafe integers in any of these frames (and probably
others): "APIC", "COMM", "COM ", and "GEOB". It doesn't surprise me Apple has
not fixed the issue as they are very slow at fixing bugs that don't affect a
large number of users.

-Nathan