[ID3 Dev] Apple iTunes complicance issues

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Mon Feb 12 17:42:50 PST 2007

Hi Ben,

On Feb 12, 2007, at 4:58 PM, Ben Bennett wrote:
> I am not sure that any "legal download sites" are shipping mp3s with
> cover art in a 2.4 tag, so requiring that is a bit disingenuous.
> However, being unable to parse a tag correctly if there is a 128 byte
> frame is a pretty serious bug.  Try using one of the other mp3
> programs that supports id3 v2.4 (e.g. Amarok, I am not sure what
> windows or mac alternatives are) and either adding a picture to it, or
> typing in more than 128 characters into a text frame.

I'm not trying to set an unreachable bar, but the more concrete the
usage scenario, the easier it is to justify the fix.  For example, it
sounds like the usage:

a) Add an MP3 file to Amarok
b) Add a picture
c) Import it into iTunes

will result in broken image.  Right?

If so, then that's a nice, specific bug impacting iTunes users which
would generate more attention than merely "iTunes doesn't follow the
spec."   Especially if you can identify other compliant apps that
would generate similar problems.

Best,
-- Ernie P.