[ID3 Dev] Re: "numeric strings"

Jud jwhite at cdtag.com
Wed Jan 17 15:32:41 PST 2007

Mitch,

I'm with you on this.  There's a very vocal group of people that want to use
19XX, etc in the TYER frame as well as text in TRCK.

On one hand it seems, in reality, harmless to allow it because it's a "text
field", other software allows/supports it, and at worst software that doesn't
support it ignores/converts it.

On the other hand there's the spec which says "numeric", we certainly wouldn't
consider allowing non-numerical data in the TDAT frame, and TDOR/TDRC etc in
2.4 (the replacement of TYER) has a well defined timestamp format.  But does
199X-01-01 make sense?  To some it does.  For example, a live shows with a
partially known date.

But I think if the answer is 'this makes sense' the spec should reflect this.
If it doesn't make sense, what's the preferred solution?  TDOR allows you the
leave off the month if it's unknown, why not leave off the year if it's unknown
(but the decade is known)?  Conforming to just "leaving off" the year part is
unlikely but it certainly could be replaced with an X, which does reflect
what's happening in reality.  Capital "XXX" is also used to designate an
unknown Language in 2.4, so there's precedent here.

Many apps allow this behavior so you wouldn't be alone.  I apologize for not
being much help, but hey, only the spec authors can answer for sure. :)

Off-topic: Has an ID3.org forum been discussed?  I think it would be easier to
follow topics, it seems a few good topics go unreplied.

Jud