[ID3 Dev] Tag archive and a couple questions

Jim jmartin92 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 4 23:14:09 PST 2007

Hi Jud.

When you say you are new to the list, I'm not sure how "new" you mean.  You
should be able to find the official wiki at http://www.id3.org

It's really great to see that someone has an archive of tags that can be
used for testing.  I think it was a few months ago that compiling such an
archive was considered a project that would never happen.  Hopefully one of
the wiki admins can find a way to incorporate your archive.

As for the 2.4 frames in 2.3 tags, I think you are right that it is a
compatibility effort.  I think that foobar2000 is one of the players that
offers such an option.  The author of that app doesn't want to write a
separate library for writing 2.3 tags but wants to offer some solution for
those that use other apps or players that don't support 2.4 at all.  I don't
know if there is a consensus of opinion about this approach.  My own opinion
is that this approach isn't a permanent fix but at least a workable one
until 2.4 gains more acceptance/support.  (I'm not sure if you joined the
list in time to see the messages from a couple days ago where it was
suggested that use of 2.4 be discouraged because of the broken
implementation used in iTunes.  Just an example of why you might be seeing
2.4 frames in 2.3 tags.)

Hopefully someone in a official position can answer this more fully.

-Jim