[ID3 Dev] User-Defined Frames

John Slane jaslane64 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 09:00:42 PST 2007

Thanks very much for your kind reply.  Your perspective is very helpful to me, since my experience in this area is very limited.  Your suggestions will hopefully help me avoid making poor judgments that will come back to bite me later.

I know it was a long list of questions, and I appreciate your patience in addressing them all.

I am very grateful.

Jud White <jwhite at cdtag.com> wrote: 1. Yes, text in TCON is compliant.  It's not defined as only a numeric
string.
2. The preferred way to delimit genres is with a null terminator,
although only a few apps/libs support this.  There's no reason spaces
should break another reader.
3. TIT1 might be good for "Theme", if your software writes this frame.
The definition for TIT1: "The 'Content group description' frame is used
if the sound belongs to a larger category of sounds/music. For example,
classical music is often sorted in different musical sections (e.g.
"Piano Concerto", "Weather - Hurricane").". If not, TXXX seems most
appropriate, but you mentioned MM doesn't support these either.  Foobar
definitely allows TXXX.  I would stay away from using COMM, because it's
not a comment, although iTunes and other software abuse this frame
liberally.
4. It doesn't break the spec that MM writes its own COMM identifiers,
but it is messy IMO.  I wouldn't worry about it breaking another app,
but I would doubt another app would treat a MM COMM frame as anything
other than a comment.
5. TXXX is appropriate if you want to define your own metadata.  A
populer one is "Album Artist" for compilation CD's.  So you could have
TXXX/Album Artist/DJ Dara, for example.  COMM is meant for comments,
maybe some notes about a live recording, or a press release about a CD, etc.

If you use proprietary descriptors in COMM then you're righ to worry
about lock-in.  You may be able to find someone willing to write a
conversion utility to take COMM/MediaMonkey frames and translate them
into whatever you're looking for in the future.

For additional commands, e-mail: id3v2-help at id3.org