AW: [ID3 Dev] 0-termination in text frames

Mathias Kunter mathiaskunter at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 17 08:22:56 PDT 2007

Hello,

well, I think it's clear. Version 2.2 and 2.3 specs say that data after a 0x00 byte (or 0x00 0x00 when using UTF16) in text frames should be ignored and not displayed. Version 2.4 says a 0 terminator separates substrings because every text frame allows multiple strings in 2.4. Well, I don't know if this is a common use-case anyway.

So, if you write a 0 terminator at the end of the string, you definitely are on the safe side. A good ID3 parser should consider both the frame length and a possible existing earlier string terminator anyway when reading the tags.

Regards,
Mathias