[ID3 Dev] TIPL and TCOM.

Peter van Hardenberg pvh at songbirdnest.com
Thu May 8 11:48:55 PDT 2008

TIPL can hold many values, in alternating "role/person" format. If TCOM is not set, there may still be a "composer"/"Mozart" among the TIPL/IPLS values. Simply setting "TIPL" to "The Doughnut Guy" is incorrect usage. Better would be:

"Cover Art Designer" / "Salvador Dali" / "Mixer" / "Poseidon" / "Intern" / "Ryan the Doughnut Guy"

in which case, you could definitely search the list for a "composer" or a "producer" or some other reasonably established title. I should add that only one TIPL(2.4)/IPLS(2.3) frame is ever permitted in a tag.

As for the rating, I am perfectly capable of drawing my own lousy conclusions from existing examples. Instead, I am asking on the ID3v2 developers list in the hope of getting a reasonably canonical response, or at least a sense of how decided the subject is.

You may have noticed, as I see you are a subscriber to the TagLib list, but I've been investing time in a patch to improve TagLib support for these kinds of problems so that more applications might actually make use of them in a consistent way, and I'd like to do it right the first time.

-pvh