[ID3 Dev] PCNT question

Timothy Reaves treaves at silverfieldstech.com
Sun Nov 30 11:24:15 PST 2008

	This is a great example of what is wrong with ID3 specification. The
2.4 version of the write-up shows this as
4.16.   Play counter

    This is simply a counter of the number of times a file has been
    played. The value is increased by one every time the file begins to
    play. There may only be one "PCNT" frame in each tag. When the
    counter reaches all one's, one byte is inserted in front of the
    counter thus making the counter eight bits bigger.  The counter must
    be at least 32-bits long to begin with.

      <Header for 'Play counter', ID: "PCNT">
      Counter        $xx xx xx xx (xx ...)

Now, there are several possible ways to interpret this.  Most of the
libraries seem to just read it as a 32bit int, but that's just wrong.

	The way I interpret it is it's an arbitrary width uint.  So at the
outset, it's a 32bit uint, and when that is full, it becomes a 40bit
uint, etc.

	I've subscribed to this list for a while now, and people have
questions on the current spec's.  But the spec's never are updated for
errors or ambiguities.  Is it really a dead spec, as everyone else
(with meta data libraries) is saying?