[ID3 Dev] going past 256 char limit in comment field in iTunes

Samuel Lago lovelago at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:29:41 PST 2009

I make a lot of home videos in the .mov format, thye all have a story
attached to them. I would like to use iTunes (on the Mac) to store those
videos and tag them inside iTunes, however there is the problem of the ID3
256 char limit, my stories go well beyond that. Originally I was unsure of
the reason for the limit as QuickTime Pro will embed as much metadata into
the comment field as you like, however when importing the same video file
into iTunes only the first 256 chars were viewable.

I need to get past this limit, this I can do with QT Pro but I would like to
have iTunes as my solution to storing and viewing both music and videos. I
could tag everything with QT Pro but that would be the 'wrong' kind of
workflow for me. So what of this v4 revision to the ID3 standard, I read
that the comment field jumped form 128bit to 256 from v1 to v2, can I expect
more leniency in the v4 spec?

Also, can anybody tell me what then QT uses to store the comment data in?

Thanks.

Samuel (E)
sɐɯnǝl (ǝ)