[ID3 Dev] Geotagging

Jeremiah Patterson jpatterson at redhensystems.com
Wed Sep 9 09:58:10 PDT 2009

> There no way of proposing [a change] because there is no one
> actively charged with creating a new version of ID3, all you
> can do is use a frame like TXXX which allows you to add a
> name and value,
[snip]

Oh, from the content on the id3.org website, it seems like v2.4 is in the
works, i.e., not finalized.  I thought that id3.org's owners owned and could
change the ID3 specification.  I'm not suggesting that we make a revision
simply for adding geotagging, but rather float a proposal so that people
could review and work out any problems so that when it comes time for
another revision, we could formalize that change into the new revision.  Are
you saying there's no process for doing such a thing?  Was there no process
for id3v2's existing revisions?  Just like EXIF and VorbisComment metadata
includes geospatial information, I am of the opinion that ID3 should also
allow for geospatial outside of simply dumping in a TXXX frame.  I would
propose that it be something like SGPS and similar in content to EXIF's GPS
fields and include a way to mark timecodes in the file with gps records,
perhaps similar to the ECTO and other synchronized frames do it.....but I'd
settle for a single GPS mark :)  editing becomes a little tricky, but this
would need to be dealt with for ECTO and other synch'ed frames as well.

Thanks,
Jerry