[ID3 Dev] Which byte order should be used when using UTF16 BOM with ID3v23

Mathias Kunter mathiaskunter at yahoo.de
Sun Apr 11 08:53:41 PDT 2010

> If you have an APIC frame its very likely to have bytes that fall foul
of the unsynchronization schema ,
>and if you don't do Unsychronization
then that image WILL NOT display correctly in iTunes. So this is
>one
example where unsysnchronization is needed for newer software not for
the music to play okay, but
>for the metadata to display okay.

Yes, it's a pain...

>Ok I'll take another look at BE ( I thought it caused problems for
WIndows but perhaps my diagnosis was
>wrong) , but I don't think you can
just drop the BOM thats breaking the ID3 standard

Ah yes, ID3 specifies that a BOM must be present (the ISO specification of UTF-16 doesn't - I remembered incorrectly). Well, Windows Media Player stores strings within ID3 tags as little endian strings (as most unicode strings on the Windows platform are stored), but I'm not aware of problems caused by big endian strings. I however also didn't test this with all common versions of Windows Media Player.

Mathias

> Yes, unsynchronized tags aren't supported very well. However, de facto all software and hardware mp3 players support ID3 version 2 tags today, at least for skipping them if they're present within an mp3 file. It therefore shouldn't often be nescessary to unsynchronize an ID3 tag at all.

If you have an APIC frame its very likely to have bytes that fall foul of the unsynchronization schema , and if you don't do Unsychronization then that image WILL NOT display correctly in iTunes. So this is one example where unsysnchronization is needed for newer software not for the music to play okay, but for the metadata to display okay.
> If you need to ensure compatibility with (old) software or hardware mp3 implementations which don't support ID3 version 2 tags and therefore actually scan the tag for a mp3 synchronization pattern, I would avoid using the 0xFF 0xFE byte order mark. You then may don't use any byte order mark at all and encode the string as big endian (as specified by the unicode standard), or explicitely use the big endian 0xFE 0xFF byte order mark - most applications which support UTF-16 should also be able to actually decode a big endian string!
Ok I'll take another look at BE ( I thought it caused problems for WIndows but perhaps my diagnosis was wrong) , but I don't think you can just drop the BOM thats breaking the ID3 standard

> Mathias K.
Paul

For additional commands, e-mail: id3v2-help at id3.org

http://mail.yahoo.com