[ID3 Dev] Beatport ID3v2.4 tag support

Peter Siciliano peter.siciliano at beatport.com
Mon Sep 24 15:24:52 PDT 2012

Hello ID3 community,

Over the past year we at Beatport have been working to support as many ID3v2.4 frames as we could and populate them with accurate data.
We have updated our ingestion system for new files and retagged our old files to supply all frames and tags consistently.

I am excited to announce that as of today we are delivering all of our track MP3s and AIF with IDv2.4 tags containing the following frames:
UFID	Beatport ID
TSRC	ISRC (international standard recording code)
APIC $03	Cover Art [Cover (front)]
APIC $11	Beatport Waveform image (brightly colored fish)
TIT2	Trackname (Mixname) [Original filename]
TPE1 	Artist [Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)]
TPE4 	Remixer [Interpreted, remixed, or otherwise modified by]
TALB	Album / Release [Album/Movie/Show title]
TPUB	Label [File owner/licensee]
TDRC	Year (Published on Beatport)
TDOR	Date (Original release)
TDRL	Date (Published on Beatport)
TFLT	File Type
TENC	Encoded by
WOAF	Beatport track detail page URL
WPUB	Beatport label detail page URL
TCON	Genre
TKEY	Key (initial)
TBPM	BPM (Beats per minute)
TRCK	Track Number [Track number/Position in set]
COMM	Comment
TIT1	Grouping (iTunes) - So iTunes can see Label

We are building solutions to support the following additional frames very shortly:
OWNE	Date (Purchased)
TPOS	Part of a set
USLT	Lyrics (plain text / not timestamped)

We have made the decision to knowingly support v2.4 even though certain applications (such as Windows Media Player) do not.
With our customers being DJs using the latest tools, applications and technologies this is not an issue as DJ solutions all understand the need for (and support) "on file" tagging with ID3v2.4.

In the coming months we will be looking to expand the offering of frames not currently supported by version 2.4 and suggest approximately 20 additional frames for a possible version 2.5 frame set.
I hope to see the ID3 community continue to grow and evolve the format.

If any out there need additional information regarding the tags that Beatport is currently supporting, or would like to know more about what we will be supporting in the future, please let me know.

Thanks,
++
Peter Siciliano | CTO
Beatport | Play with music