[ID3 Dev] Whole Album Tags

Brian Mearns bmearns at coe.neu.edu
Tue Nov 22 06:26:13 PST 2005

Thanks to all for the advice, I've been seeing all the traffic for CHAP
and CTOC, but for some reason never looked at it (sorry). Now that I
have, I'm very excited about the potential for these frames, I think
they're going to be very powerful, and especially useful for live
recordings. I think they'll also be exactly what I was looking for with
my original post about album databasing.

After just a quick read through of the most updated published spec (rev
3, 25.10.05), the only thing that really stuck out to me was a question
about the heirarchical nature of the CTOC frames: should this structure
be a tree, or is a graph feasible? The essential difference (as I'm
describing it) is that if a graph is allowed, then a CTOC could
reference another CTOC as it's child, which could re-reference the first
CTOC as it's own child (actually, "neighbor" if we're talking about
graphs). If you're familiar with Categories in Wikipedia, you should
know what I mean. These can be mutually nested, but do not actually form
a tree. I don't know of a real life situation in music where this would
be required, but I do know that in a lot of different tree-based work, I
often find the tree restrictions (as opposed to graphs) aggravating.

Just a thought, wondering what people think. I probably won't be working
on my database (where I'll be using the CTOC and CHAP frames) for a
while yet, but when I do, I'll make sure to post any question/comments,
etc. on the evolving format.

-Brian Mearns