[ID3 Dev] Moving forward on Chapter Frames

Chris Newell chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 02:14:28 PST 2005

At 06:27 30/11/2005, py.thoulon at gmail.com wrote:
>I would vote for the addendum. I believe it is easier from an implementation standpoint to authorize Chapter frames in existing ID3v2.3/4 implementations (skipping them properly would be enough) than to add support for a new version.
>
>Moreover, people who will be adding these frames to files will know what they want to do with them, and will most likely test the programs that they want to use them with.

Agreed. Having revisited the v2.4 spec I've found that there is support for this approach in the overview section:

   "ID3v2 is designed to be as flexible and expandable as possible to
   meet new meta information needs that might arise. To achieve that
   ID3v2 is constructed as a container for several information blocks,
   called frames, whose format need not be known to the software that
   encounters them. At the start of every frame is an unique and
   predefined identifier, a size descriptor that allows software to skip
   unknown frames and a flags field."

A similar statement is present in v2.2 and v2.3. Apologies for not noticing this earlier!

This means we could publish an addendum describing how the Chapter Frames could be used in both v2.3 and v.2.4 tags. Would it also be useful to provide a version of the frames for use with v2.2?

I'll try to draft a first stab at an addendum for everyone to review.

Chris

Dr J.C. Newell
Digital Media Group, BBC Research & Development
Kingswood Warren, Woodland Way, Tadworth, Surrey
KT20 6NP  UK
mailto:chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk      http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd
Tel:   +44 (0)1737 839659
Switchboard:   +44 1737 839500