[ID3 Dev] ID3v2.5

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Feb 28 06:55:24 PST 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 15:23, Michal Vician wrote:
> > I disagree completely. If this was true, there wouldn't be nearly as
> > many tag editors, metadata services (with multiple versions of albums
> > in them), and so forth. Tag editing is certainly frequent enough to be
> > a concern. ***Padding is essential***.
>
> Well, wouldn't it be better to save id3v2 tag to the end to the file
> (rigth after the ID3v1)? I'm pretty new to this mailing list (only half a
> year) and I really can't imagine why is ID3v2 tag stored at the very
> beginning of file. Can anybody explain, please?

This is covered in the spec (It's for streaming).  And of course it would need
to be before the ID3v1 tag since ID3v1 is required to be at the end of the
file.

I do in general agree with Tom though.  Without this being something that is
done with the major commercial implementations on board, this would just be
creating standards for the fun of it.  It's taken 6 years for ID3v2.4 to
catch on and it's still not completely there.

One potentially interesting note is that in the Linux world things do tend to
support 2.4 since out of the three notable ID3v2 implementation (TagLib,
libid3tag and id3lib) the first two support 2.4.

-Scott

--
Anyone who has begun to think, places some portion of the world in jeopardy.
-John Dewey