[ID3 Dev] 'Extending' ID3 V2.4

Dan O'Neill id3v2 at northpb.com
Fri Feb 10 14:32:23 PST 2006

Ion Todirel wrote:
> If a new good standard will arive, belive me if it will be good enought
> it will be accepted by world. Maybe not using xml, but binnary
> representation and frames aproach need to be changed with something else.
>
> For that guys that work on designing ID3, think again when releasing a
> new standard.

Just to clarify, the members of this list *are* the people working on
ID3 tag standards.  I'm really just a facilitator.  Chris Newell, a
member of this list, is the person who thought it would be a good idea
to add Chapter and Table of Content frames.  He wrote the drafts, passed
them around for comment and I drew the frame pictures and posted things
for review and comment.  Within a few months we had something that most
people agreed upon.

If one of us were to put forth an XML based tag draft, I'm sure that it
would move forward.  As for convincing hardware mfg's, users with 8 yrs
of tagged content, etc... to switch, well, that's why we have people on
this list from Apple, Yahoo and other consumer facing companies.

Anyone want to start a draft set of requirements for XML tags?
  - Backwards compatibility w/existing tags
  - Adoptable
  - Must have a reference implementation for writing and reading
  - ?

Dan