[ID3 Dev] TCON confusion

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Sat Jan 14 10:48:47 PST 2006

Using a null-separated list of strings (which from my reading is what is
specified in the v2.4 TCON spec) would have the advantage of being easy to
implement and that it would follow the only implementation I know about
(ID3-TagIT), but there just seems to be something wrong with diverging from
the standard so much.

In order to get an idea of exactly how to implement a particular frame, I
have examined frames created by other libraries or audio players.  But this
was just to "fill in the gaps" and better understand what was in the
standard.  To date, I’ve never come close to intentionally breaking the
standard.  And since the v2.3 standard doesn’t mention anything about
null-terminated strings, I would have a bad feeling about implementing such
a scheme.

On the other hand, a standard is only as good as its adherence.  I would bow
to precedent; I just want to make sure that if I’m going to contradict the
standard, that there really is an established precedent and that I wouldn’t
be contributing to non-compliance.

So, other than ID3-TagIT, what are some of the other libraries and or audio
applications that support multiple genres?

If I can see some other multi-genre frames for myself, I’d feel a lot better
about implementing this scheme.  Again, this may seem way overcautious, but
I’ve been working with the ID3 standard so long, I've found myself getting a
bit protective of it.

Thanks,

 - Mitchell S. Honnert