[ID3 Dev] TCON confusion

Pyt py.thoulon at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 21:42:45 PST 2006

Actually, I've been a little over-enthusiastic when mentioning "most
apps"...
ID3-TagIt is definitely one; my own private implementation too (but that
wouldn't count...:-). The few other implementations that I've seen
(MusicMatch, WinAmp, Windows Media Player and Turtlebeach's Audiotron [a
hardware device]) implement a single genre. Some of them don't understand
the numeric notation in v2 tag, but they're all compatible with the
null-separated multiple genre: when they encounter one, they just return the
first genre, as you would expect any unaware application (the null char is
interpreted as end of string).

So, in essence, yes, you're right, this seems like a divergence from the
standard, albeit a harmless one.

Anybody cares to comment on other implementations (how about the Java libs
around or id3lib ?).

Thanks,
Pyt.