[ID3 Dev] Accessibility extension - second draft

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Mon Jul 31 16:23:55 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 13:27, Chris Newell wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Attached is second draft of the ID3v2 Accessibility addendum. I've
> considered the comments received and made the following changes:
>
> 1)  Audio-text frames now include an "equivalent text" string, rather than
> an equivalent frame ID.
>
> 2)  The MIME type of the audio clip is defined independently.
>
> 3)  The ID3v2 unsynchronisation scheme is now mandatory when MPEG audio
> formats are used.
>
> 4)  An alternative scrambling scheme is defined for audio formats where the
> ID3v2 unsynchronisation scheme is unsuitable.
>
> I'd be very interested to hear any comments.

Hi Chris --

Sorry that after all my complaining on the earlier drafts that I never got
back to you on this one.  I was in the process of a move and didn't have
broadband at home for a bit.  [insert grumbling about Deutsche-Telekom here]

The new draft looks good.  The scrambling algorithm is a little exotic, but
doesn't elicit any objections from my side.

A few minor notes:

- The link to the ID3v2.4 structure doc is incorrect.

- The field ordering is a little strange.  I'd expect text-encoding, text,
mime-type, flags, data.  (Two logical groups, one for text, the other for
audio content.)  Alternatively putting the flags at the front would fit with
how some other ID3v2 elements are formatted, but the current layout wouldn't
make my top 2-3 most obvious combinations.  ;-)

- You might consider a note on "pruning" -- i.e. under what circumstances
ID3v2 implementations should discard (potentially using the frame header?)
ATXT frames.

Cheers,

-Scott

--
It may be true that you can't fool all the people all the time, but you can
fool enough of them to rule a large country.