[ID3 Dev] I want to make my Java API OpenSource

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 7 11:29:06 PDT 2006

Personally I would recommend LGPL which is what I have used for my Java
ID3 Tagging Library (https://jaudiotagger.dev.java.net/). As Tom said
LGPL means that anybody who modifies the library must release the
changes they have made , but they dont have to release any other source
code that just uses the library. So if I make an enhancement to the
library I need to let you know about it, this benefits everyone. If I
decide to write another application that uses your library but dont want
to release the source code I can , this means you get input from a wider
pool of people and companies. The edge cases don't appear to Java  LGPL
and to be honest would you go to the trouble of taking somebody to court
if they did break the license agreement.

The trouble with the GPL is it is very restrictive, basically it says
the library can only be used by other open source libraries. In practise
the situation is probably worse, unscrupulous individuals/companies can
see your code but will use it in closed source applications and as so
not too bring attention to themselves will not inform you of any
improvement s they do make.

In this particular scenerio if you made your library LGPL I could use
elements of your library in mine and vice versa creating some synergy
for the benefit of both projects. However if you made it GPL I could not
because I would have to make my library GPL as well.

BTW I recommend www.java.net for hosting your project, they provide a
number of useful tools such as source control,forums,mailing lists ..
and because the it is purely java based and hosted by SUN there are alot
of users of the site with good knowledge to help improve your project.

Paul