[ID3 Dev] Genre suggestion

Tom Sorensen tsorensen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 12:20:40 PDT 2006

If you want a new Genre, just make one. There is no list of
pre-defined genres for ID3v2. You'd then have to modify whatever
player to not play any music that belonged in that genre (and see
below for the issues with that).

But that's not what you really want. You want a flag that a music
player would have to check before playing (or, since you seem
concerned about the title, before even displaying). Certainly
possible; there are other similar flags in the ID3v2 spec currently.

I'll go ahead and object to it as pointless though. Since:

A) nobody implements anything like this in current players (software
or hardware), and it would be 3-5 years before that would change (and
that's being optimistic; more likely it would never be implemented.
ID3v2.4 is 5 years old now and still has very low uptake),

B) it would be completely trivial to bypass and/or disable anyway
since you cannot prevent someone from changing the tag (or removing it
entirely).

Tom Sorensen