[ID3 Dev] Genre suggestion

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Fri Sep 15 21:52:54 PDT 2006

Pat,

>Yes, I know that there is a ID3 means for multi-genre classification, but
>that's just not used.  Why?  Because it doesn't cross the threshold of
>having enough added value in the way it is implemented.
Personally, I think the reason multi-genre support never became popular is
the ambiguity in the TCON frame's spec.  I'd love to know the actual
history, but it's my guess that early implementers of the ID3v2.3 spec
weren't really sure what to make of the description of the TCON frame
(especially the "Several references" part), so they just opted for the easy
approach, only implementing a single genre value.

In my ID3 library, I've chosen to implement multiple genre values in the
TCON frame in the same way that ID3-TagIT does it, a nullchar-delimited list
of genre names (ignoring the whole "modifier" business).  If the popular MP3
players supported this, you would have a workable implementation of a
content rating.  I could not only say that a track was "Hard Rock", I could
add that it was "Adult Language" or "Instrumental" or "Live" as well.

All things being equal, of course I'd rather have a custom "Content Rating"
frame.  It's just a shame that a multi-value TCON frame was never able to
get off the ground because this would have at least provided a workable
solution to the content rating issue.

>Computer monitors display colors in a 24 bit color space: 8 bits red, 8
>bits green, 8 bits blue.  There are an infinite number of variations that
>exist between all of the colors that those 24 bits can represent, but we
>defer to the standardization of the 24 bit scheme.
Well, not "infinite". A heck of a lot, but not infinite.  I say this not to
be pedantic, but to illustrate a flaw in your analogy.  The colors in a 24
bit scheme are finite.  Of course there aren't names for each of the colors,
but the colors themselves are objectively quantifiable.  Not so with genres.
There truly *are* an infinite number of genres.  Further compounding the
problem is the subjective nature of genres.  A given color has an objective
red/green/blue ratio.  But is a given track "Rock", "Rock and Roll",
"Classic Rock", "Southern Rock", "Rockabilly", "Classic Rock"? Even if you
could set up a wiki which maintained a finite list of genres, you'd still
have to assign your genres to a track.

Maintaining a list of genres would be a never-ending and thankless job.
Whether it's for genres or content rating descriptions, all I need is a
standardized container; I'll come up with the contents myself.

 - Mitchell S. Honnert