[ID3 Dev] updates to existing ID3v2 standards?

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Sun Jan 14 09:18:27 PST 2007

Hello Dan.  Thanks for your reply.  They're a bit late, but see below for

> I think the opening paragraph states that this should be allowed
> http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0
> "The contents in this document may change for clarifications but never for
> added or altered functionallity."
Right, so we have explicit permission to update the v2.3.0 spec for clarity
and we now have a Wiki in place to facilitate those changes.  But I guess
I'm looking for some specifics on how to proceed with a change.  Should we
discuss a proposed update on the e-mail list and then, when we have a
general consensus, have one of the Wiki editors make the update?  Or should
the Wiki editors just make the change and leave the review to
after-the-fact?  (I've never participated in a Wiki before, so perhaps there
are some features that would facilitate this.)  Or something else?

For example, I believe the results of Andrea Moro's recent question on the
TLAN frame should be incorporated into the v2.3.0 spec.  If the consensus is
that the spec does indeed mean that the fixed length of the language code
obviates the need for a delimiter, then this should be explicitly stated in
the frames spec rather than merely implied.  Including an example, like
Andrea's "engaarang", wouldn't hurt either.  I have the time and the
motivation to make this change; I just want to make sure that it's done with
the proper process.  (BTW, the timing of Andrea's TLAN e-mail is very weird.
Yesterday, I was looking at a ToDo in my library's code and I was planning
my own e-mail to the list.)

> What about putting forth 2.3.1 and explain the branch and differences?
I am very much in favor of this.  As a quick reminder, I personally am not
suggesting that we make any significant changes in v2.3.1, just enough to
recognize and incorporate some of the very popular, yet possibly
noncompliant, implementations out there.  For example, at least one
implementation of the TCON frame uses a nullchar-delimited list of genre
names.  While this approach isn't mentioned in the spec, it's much more
clear than the gobbledygook that's in there now.  Plus, it doesn't break any
existing implementations.  It's as good an example as any of the kind of
change that would go into v2.3.1.

So, what's the next step?  Do we open of the v2.3.0 spec for
clarification-only updates for a while and then copy it over to a new v2.3.1
page?  Or do we dive right in an create the v2.3.1 page?

> I'd like to suggest that we agree to point people to the document that
> best fits the current state of the art and then update the document, with
> version numbers, behind that pointer.
It sounds like you have a handle on how to point to the underlying
documents.  Just getting the v2.3.0 changes going and the new v2.3.1 spec
created is my primary focus right now.

Regards,

Mitchell S. Honnert
www.UltraID3Lib.com