[ID3 Dev] Contextual Granularity in id3 Tags

Jim jmartin92 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 7 16:40:46 PDT 2007

Hi Tom.

I think I understand what you are going for here.  However, I think you
might have two separate issues:  (1) the actual content of the tag and
(2) the way that information is handled by different software/hardware
players or other tag handling & playlist apps

For issue 1, I think the current frame structure of 2.3 or 2.4 tags can
already handle all the information you have.  If you look at the
definition of the TPE frames, you could use TPE1 for the main artist,
TPE2 for the "featured" artist and TPE4 (and/or TPE3) for even more
artist information.

For the first example you used I would envision something like:
	TPE1: Deepsky
	TPE2: feat. Jes Brieden
	TPE4: vs. Yilmaz Altanhan

	TIT2: Ghost vs. Eighties
	TIT3: AvB Mashup

Or something like that for the frames in the tag.  (Personally, I really
don't think the what you call the "glue" needs to be a separate piece of
information as removing the "feat." or "vs." could be handled on the
software side of the search.)

I think issue 2 is your bigger problem.  Even if you rewrite the entire
standard as you were talking about, you would still be relying on the
software and hardware developers to allow you to properly (and hopefully
easily) put the artist information in the proper frames and then allow
you to reassemble it or define various searches.  Even though v2.3 and
v2.4 already allow for different artist frames I am sure we have all
seen software that only writes to one artist frame.  Or likewise, if you
have the information in the different frames I'm sure you can find some
software/hardware players that will only read certain parts of it and
ignore other related frames.

If you have certain favorite players or apps that you use, perhaps it
would be better to concentrate your efforts on getting that app or
player to support more of the frames already defined and to allow for
more "fuzzy" type searches of the different frames.

I also think you'd have better luck finding playlist generation software
that can be used for you to make these types of playlists and then
upload them onto your portable.  I know...that's not really fixing the
problem for on-the-fly playlist generation but as you pointed out many
hardware players don't have much in the way of searching and I would
guess it is easier to get software patched/updated with new features
than it is for the firmware of your hardware player.)

Jim