[ID3 Dev] Suggestion For International Artists Names

Ahmed Sobhi humanzz at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 18 06:54:28 PST 2008

Hello,
I'm a software developer but I'm not at all experienced with id3 tagging system from a developer's perspective.
I'm facing a problem as a user and I just wanted to share that problem and propose how I want it to be solved.
I'm Egyptian so part of my mp3s collection is for Egyptian and Arab artists. The problem is with the songs, albums titles and artists names. I'd like to see them in Arabic.
I know that this is possible with unicode and for sure that works quite well for me.
I'm talking about storing the names in multiple languages, like having an artist's name in arabic and english and also to allow for multiple spellings.
For example, I have an artist called " أم كلثوم" and in English she has several spellings like Um Kalthoum, Om Kalsoum and several others.
I'd like to be able to search in my music library with any of these names.
So what I'm suggesting is to enable aliases for different standard fields and to be able to specify their languages too.
What do you think?

Regards,
Ahmed Sobhi