[ID3 Dev] foobar2000 ID3v2.3 compliance

Benjamin Cook mail at benjamincook.ca
Tue Mar 29 08:20:45 PDT 2011

I would really appreciate it if you would quit second-guessing me, Paul.
I have yet to tell you anything that was less than 100% accurate.

1.1 brought a change where instead of using null, "/" was used. This
brought foobar2000 into total compliance with the spec.

1.1.6 beta 2 brought a change where instead of separating with "/",
values were separated by " / ", that is, a space on either side of the
slash is the separator. This is marginally less compliant, but still
sticks to the spec more than pretty much any other implementation I've
seen. This solves the AC/DC problem benski described.

I do not care to debate the issue. I should hardly need to defend
increasing compliance with a specification! I just want to see that
"compliance issue" dropped, as it is no longer accurate, and hasn't been
for several versions.

As it appears that the consensus is that the spec is deficient on this
matter, perhaps the "Compliance Issues" page itself should be removed
altogether, or some other page documenting implemented but varying
solutions to the spec's deficiencies should be created. foobar2000 is a
paragon of ID3v2 specification compliance, is one of very few players
supporting some of the more esoteric features of the spec, and it is
quite absurd how much resistance I'm encountering trying to get a simple
update to incorrect documentation.