[ID3 Dev] foobar2000 ID3v2.3 compliance

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 29 09:28:52 PDT 2011

On 29/03/2011 16:20, Benjamin Cook wrote:
> I would really appreciate it if you would quit second-guessing me,
> Paul. I have yet to tell you anything that was less than 100% accurate.

I have no desire to second guess you but your post didn't really give
any information about what had changed, so what am I supposed to do ?

Ive been down this road before
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=80257&hl=
and couldn't get a clear answer then either

> 1.1 brought a change where instead of using null, "/" was used. This
> brought foobar2000 into total compliance with the spec.
>
> 1.1.6 beta 2 brought a change where instead of separating with "/",
> values were separated by " / ", that is, a space on either side of the
> slash is the separator. This is marginally less compliant, but still
> sticks to the spec more than pretty much any other implementation I've
> seen. This solves the AC/DC problem benski described.
>
> I do not care to debate the issue. I should hardly need to defend
> increasing compliance with a specification! I just want to see that
> "compliance issue" dropped, as it is no longer accurate, and hasn't
> been for several versions.
>
> As it appears that the consensus is that the spec is deficient on this
> matter, perhaps the "Compliance Issues" page itself should be removed
> altogether, or some other page documenting implemented but varying
> solutions to the spec's deficiencies should be created. foobar2000 is
> a paragon of ID3v2 specification compliance, is one of very few
> players supporting some of the more esoteric features of the spec, and
> it is quite absurd how much resistance I'm encountering trying to get
> a simple update to incorrect documentation.
You just need to explain yourself better, now that you have some
modification will be made to the compliance issues page, A varying
solutions page would be useful but I dont have permissions to create new
pages that would have to be done by someone else

Paul