[ID3 Dev] foobar2000 ID3v2.3 compliance

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 29 10:45:55 PDT 2011

On 29/03/2011 18:36, Benjamin Cook wrote:

>> You just need to explain yourself better, now that you have some
>> modification will be made to the compliance issues page
>
> Thanks. That's all I wanted.
>
> I figured listing the "compliance issue" that was fixed and stating
> when it was fixed was sufficient. My first post to this list contains
> all the information needed to allow whoever to verify that what I said
> was true.
I think if you want people to do something for you, its best to make it
as easy as possible for them which your first post didnt do.
> I'm not going to debate this with you. It's absurd enough that despite
> adding the compliance issue you're counseling people to violate the
> specification!
I don't see why its absurd, the fact is that you had functionality that
doesn't match the specification and that it was this webpage is for, it
is important for users and developers to be aware of these differences,
and it seems by adding this to the compliance list its prompted you to
take action.

That said I don't think the null separator idea is a bad idea, after
that is what happens in 2.4, and I have proposed a 2.3.1 specification
myself which would allow nulls for all text fields. After all you want
multiple values for all kinds of text fields not just the artist field,
and only a few fields are specified to use the '/' seperator in v23. So
if it was me I would make it optional whether to use null seperators or
' / ' in Foobar2000

Paul