[ID3 Dev] id3v2.4 and Windows Media Player (WMP)

Francois Chabloz fchabloz at infomaniak.ch
Thu May 3 13:51:49 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I'm digging deep into id3 lately and can't make my mind about id3v2.4. Here's my understanding :

- Windows Media Player 12 do not read 2.4.
- I'm not a fan of WMP12, but when targetting a large audience, WMP compatility is unfortunately required. (WMP12 comes out of the box with Win7)

Conclusion: read v2.4 (because there are few out there already) but write v2.3 only. - At least as long as WMP12 is in the picture.

Second conclusion : not writing v2.4 means not using the excellent taglib library. Or am i missing something? it's hard to believe that such a great lib is excluding - without optional settings - such a share of users (WMP users i mean).

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can confirm or correct this.

Thanks!
Francois Chabloz