[ID3 Dev] ID3v1 Genre URI Recommendation

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Tue Dec 13 08:12:18 PST 2005

Daniel, as far as I understand it, the ID3 standard is getting away from a
predefined set of genres values.  There is an appendix of the v1 standard
genre values in the v2.3 standard, but the v2.3 standard allows for a
free-form genre value, so the "support" for defined genres seems to be
tangential at best.

 From the Content Type (TCON) frame description in the standards...
"You may use one or several of the types as ID3v1.1 did or, since the
category list would be impossible to maintain with accurate and up to date
categories, define your own."

My take on this is that genres are so subjective and ever-changing, that
maintaining a master list be a fruitless and never-ending effort.  Because
of this, I think your idea of adding Genre support is going to be a tough
sell.  I can only speak for myself, but it just seems to run in the opposite
direction of the ID3 standard.

 - Mitchell S. Honnert