Fwd: RE: [ID3 Dev] ID3 chapter tags feedback

Chris Newell chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 07:03:19 PDT 2005

Colleagues,

Recently, Patrick Schmitz requested that CHAP and CTOC frames could both appear at the same level in a Table of Contents tree. I've noticed this implies that CHAP frames could appear alongside CTOC frames at the top-level of the Table of Contents tree. Unfortunately, this raises a problem since CHAP frames do not have a Top-level flag.

As a solution, I suggest we change the semantics of the Top-level flag slightly:

- currently, the Top-level flag identifies one or more CTOC frames that are present at the top-level of the Table of Contents.

- instead we could use it to identify a single, unique CTOC frame which represents the root of the Table of Contents. This root CTOC would list all the frames at the top-level of the Table of Contents and could now include both CTOC and CHAP frames.

I think this is neater and easier to understand than the previous approach. However, if anyone has comments please let me know.

Chris

Dr J.C. Newell
Digital Media Group, BBC Research & Development
Kingswood Warren, Woodland Way, Tadworth, Surrey
KT20 6NP  UK
mailto:chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk      http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd
Tel:   +44 (0)1737 839659
Switchboard:   +44 1737 839500