[ID3 Dev] I want to make my Java API OpenSource

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Jun 6 11:53:35 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 20:39, Michal Vician wrote:
> I would like to make it OPEN SOURCE (nothing commercial), so anybody can
> use it and also freely contribute to make the API better... However, I
> don't really understand the diferences between GPL and LGPL. I'm stuck!
> Any ideas what would be the best thing to do in this situation?

The basic difference is that the GPL requires all things that are using your
library to be Open Source also, whereas the LGPL allows non-Open Source
applications to also use your library, but they still are required to publish
any changes that they make to your library.

-Scott

--
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it
is not utterly absurd.