[ID3 Dev] Apple iTunes complicance issues

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Mon Feb 12 12:08:23 PST 2007

Hello Ernie.  I'm sure most of the members of this list would greatly appreciate any help you could give with resolving the iTunes ID3 compliance issues.  As you can see from the other responses, there are some fairly big problems with the way iTunes implements the ID3 standards.

I have a quick follow-up question.  What is your criteria for "real-world interoperability consequences"?  I think that by definition ID3 developers are a nitpicky lot, so I'm not asking about highly esoteric issues in rarely used frames.  But it seems to me that problems like the ID3v2.4 non-syncsafe size issue and iTunes inexplicable preference for a deprecated ID3 version (ID3 v2.2) would cause interoperability consequences that would warrant attention from Apple.

Again, thanks for your reply.  I hope that the list has found resource that can help address these problems from within.

 - Mitchell S. Honnert