[ID3 Dev] requested feature

Mike van Bokhoven mike at ambientdesign.com
Wed Sep 19 05:31:52 PDT 2007

Hi,

Couple of points there - I'd say if Winamp and iTunes don't want to support
a currently implemented frame, there's not much point in trying to specify
another frame for them to ignore as well! Are you sure they don't use POPM?
I have no idea if they do or don't really, just seems silly not to use a
standardised frame for something like that. Additionally, repeated play
isn't necessary - all you have to do is set the rating byte to whatever
value you like, the play counter is optional, the way I read the spec. I'd
guess the way this frame is used is up to the app using it, the standard
doesn't specify much detail.

While talking about new standard frames is interesting, in reality ID3 seems
quite static. The uptake of 2.4 does not seem to have been very
widespread... am I wrong there? The practical upshot of that is that there's
very little point in defining new frames, unfortunately. Would software
authors update their support to a 2.5 if there was one?

Mike.