[ID3 Dev] APIC frame without PictureType field

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 2 04:40:24 PDT 2008

I have some  files  with an ID3v23 tag that seem to contain an APIC
frame without a PictureType field or with an invalid PictureType.
According to the Spec this doesnt seem valid, but have I misread it
and/or does anyone know what application it is that is doing this.
here an excert of the frame

0x41 0x50 0x49 0x43 0x00 0x11 0xCF 0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x69
A      P        I       C
0x6D 0x61 0x67 0x65 0x2F 0x70 0x6E 0x67 00x00 0xD0 0x00 0x89 0x50 0x4E
0x47 0x0D
m       a       g       e       /        p       n
g                                             P       N      G

So my code is currently reading the 0xD0 as an invalid Picture Type
(208), but I think the file that created this
has actually written the 0xD0 0x00 as the value of Description,and hasnt
written a Picture Type at all.

thanks Paul