[ID3 Dev] Multiple Values proposal

Ben Allison benski at winamp.com
Tue Mar 6 14:00:44 PST 2012

I know we had this conversation a little while ago, but here's another
suggestion.  I'm not sure if we discussed this one or not.

Vorbis comments (as well as APEv2 and FLAC which uses a very similar
scheme) supports multiple values by having a key repeated more than once
in the tag.

Could we not do something similar with ID3v2?  If you want multiple
artists, for example, just create multiple TPE1 frames.

We could increment the versions to v2.31 and v2.41 to signify the change.
The main questions are:
1) Would any major existing implementations completely fail or return a
parsing error when encountering duplicate frames
2) Would any major existing implementations do anything strange, like use
the last-encountered frame rather than the first-encountered frame, as the
value.

For a variety of reasons, this feels like a superior alternative to
NULL-delimited strings.

Thoughts?
-Ben Allison
Nullsoft, Inc.